Safeguarding Children and Adults Policy Statement
The White Unicorn Project Community Interest Company (CIC) believes that it is always unacceptable for a child, young person, or adult to experience abuse of any kind and recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children, young people, and adults by a commitment to practice which protects them.
We recognise that:
- The welfare of the child/young person/adult is paramount.
- All children, young people and adults regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse.
- Working in partnership with children, young people, adults, their parents, carers and other agencies is essential in promoting their welfare.
The purpose of the policy:
- To provide protection for the children, young people and adults who receive services from The White Unicorn Project CIC, including the children of adult members or users.
- To provide staff and volunteers with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event that they suspect a child, young person or adult, may be experiencing, or be at risk of harm.
- This policy applies to all Directors, staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, students or anyone working on behalf of The White Unicorn Project CIC.
We will seek to safeguard children, young people and adults by:
- Valuing them, listening to and respecting them.
- Adopting child and adult protection guidelines through procedures and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers.
- Recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made.
- Sharing information about child and adult protection and good practice with children, parents, carers, staff and volunteers.
- Sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know.
- Providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training.
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice on an annual basis.
Health and Safety Policy Statement
The White Unicorn Project Community Interest Company (CIC) is committed to ensuring that everything is done to ensure that everyone who comes to the project has an experience that is both enjoyable and safe. The White Unicorn Project CIC conducts what it does in a way which recognises its legal obligations in protecting the environment and ensuring the health, safety and welfare of its employees and anyone who may be affected by what it does.
We continually review our activities to ensure that they are as safe as possible and meet guidance and advice issued by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and other relevant bodies.
Our commitment to health and safety is reflected in our Health and Safety Policy and our documented risk assessments and safe working procedures, copies of which are available for inspection on request.
We communicate our safety rules and expectations to staff, volunteers, and other visitors through notice-boards. Members of staff and volunteers receive regular training in safety procedures, including what to do in the event of a fire, accident or other incident.
All equipment is regularly checked and meets all recommended safety standards where applicable. All of our horses and ponies are selected and trained and are carefully matched to clients.
Whilst we will do everything feasible to minimise risks, please be aware that being near horses is a high-risk activity and that even the best horses can behave in an unpredictable manner. We advise all clients to take out personal accident insurance in case of an accident.
The White Unicorn Project Community Interest Company (CIC) will:
- Provide health and safety controls at all levels;
- Comply with any legislation which applies to what it does;
- Consult its employees over matters concerning health and safety;
- Provide and maintain safe equipment and premises;
- Ensure the safe handling and use of substances;
- Provide information, instruction, training and supervision for all its employees;
- Ensure that all those who work for it can safely do what they are asked to do;
- Provide sufficient resources to maintain safe and healthy working conditions;
- Do all that is appropriate to protect natural resources and the environment;
The White Unicorn Project CIC requires a minimum of 48 hours’ notice of cancellation of all sessions. Failure to provide notice will result in the following cancellation charges:
1) If notice has been given within 48 hours, a £5.00 fee will be charged.
2) If less than 24 hours or no notice is given (including illness) the full fee for the session will be charged.
Please ensure you cancel any pre-booked lessons (whenever possible) at your earliest convenience so we can offer the available slot to others.
In bad/extreme weather or where the ground conditions pose a risk to the safety of clients and our horses, we may cancel sessions/activities. If this is the case, The White Unicorn Project CIC will contact all clients affected as soon as possible. If you are in any doubt, you should contact The White Unicorn Project CIC on 07584 432935.